THE MAIN SITES OF THE BATTLE OF ARRAS
THE CANADIAN NATIONAL MEMORIAL SITE
The Canadian Memorial Site is still littered with shell and mines holes, and is covered by a forest of conifers. The taking of Vimy ridge by the Canadians in April 1917 was one of the major episodes of the Battle of Arras. Two enemy trenches and a Canadian
underground passage can be visited close to the information centre. The imposing monument, which faces out onto the plain, pays tribute to the 66,000 Canadian soldiers who died in France during the conflict and bears the names of 11,285 men whose
bodies were never found.
The Bullecourt British and Australian Memorial includes a bronze replica of the famous hat worn by the Australians and a piece of the tracks from a Mark 4 tank which took part in the winning back of Bullecourt in April and May 1917.
The Digger Memorial, a bronze statue erected in 1993, is the work of the Australian sculptor Peter Corlett. The statue’s face is based on that of Corlett’s father, who fought at Bullecourt.
Parc mémorial de Bullecourt
The Memorial of the 37th British Division which conquered the Monchy-le-Preux ridge on 11th April 1917 during the Battle of Arras, stands in the centre of the village.
Nearby, a caribou stands over the ruins of a cellar which was fortified by the Germans. It commemorates the sacrifice of the Newfoundland troops who fiercely defended the position on 14th April 1917.
Mémorial de Terre-Neuve
Rue de la Chaussy
MUSEUM JEAN ET DENISE LETAILLE
Weapons, cigarette cases, razors, dixies, helmets... these objects found on the battle field and assembled by Jean and Denise Letaille, a couple of farmers, tell the story of the Australian soldiers who fought in April
and May 1917 in the Bullecourt region. A museum where the objects tell the story!
Open hours: Tuesday to Sunday, from 10am to12.30pm and from 1.30pm to 6pm (from 01/04 to 30/09) and from 1.30pm to 5.30pm (from 01/10 to 31/03)
Closed from mid-December to mid-February
Prices: Full: €5/adult
Concession: €3/child from 12 to 18 years
Group (more than 10): €4/person
Free under 12
1bis, rue d'Arras
Tél. +33 (0)3 21 55 33 20
The names of the battles fought by the 9th Division during the Great War are engraved on the Scottish Memorial in the spot known as “Le Point du Jour”
in Athies. A replica of the cairn erected in 1746 on the battlefield of Culloden, the memorial is situated on the Arras-Douai road, the scene of fierce fighting during the Battle of Arras.